Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Elf-work Part 1

THE HOBBIT OPENED LAST NIGHT IN NEW ZEALAND! AAAAAAHH! 

Sorry. I've been waiting on the edge of my seat for this since...well, since The Lord of The Rings came out. One trait you will see exhibited by all of my family: an avid love for anything Tolkien.

So my five year old sister has been begging for a Cinderella dress for months now, and guess who gets to make it for a Christmas present? I was just going to draft a pattern for it (come on, how hard could it be?), but Mom bought a pattern for it instead: http://www.simplicity.com/p-1739-costumes.aspx 
Upon measuring Cinderella and comparing her measurements to the pattern, we discovered that I was going to have to do some drafting anyways. Let's just say, she's as tall as a size 5, but skinnier that a size 3. The skirt I left as is (it will just get gathered in fuller), but the bodice I had to redraft so that it is a size 3 in width, but a size 5 in height. Then I cut the back and front up the middle of each piece, adding on 5/8" seam allowance to the cut edge to princess seam it. (Fitting, no? Princess dress, princess seams?) From there I cut out the pattern pieces from a cheap muslin, to fit it with. 
 No, I didn't stop there. I'm actually done with the cutting it out. But I want to leave something here that tells me, "You didn't finish! Do that already!" That and drafting a pattern is a whole lot more fun to see and do than hear described.
I will be posting pictures! (As soon as I take them and put them on the computer!) 
And I will be posting more elf-work. At least the elf-work for people who are not old enough to read yet. The siblings that can read will invariably be reading this. Which is why I can't put their Christmas presents on the internet.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!
Rapunzel

1 comment:

  1. That's awesome, "Rapunzel"! I can't wait to see the photos! I must also see photos of "Cinderella" in the finished product come Christmas :-)

    ReplyDelete